- 35% of Americans are obese.
- An additional 30% are considered overweight
- Medical costs for obesity are over $146 million each year.
- One out of three children in the US are overweight or obese.
- 76% of clergy are overweight or obese compared to 61% of the general population. (2001 Pulpit and Pew study 2001)
1. What Does Physical Healthiness Have To Do With Margin?
John 10:10 – “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.”
2. What Does Physical Healthiness Have To Do With My Spiritual Life?
Genesis 1:1 – “In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.”
“If you can accept Genesis 1:1, the very first verse in the Bible, they you really won’t have trouble believing the rest of the Bible.” D.A.Carson
“If something was created it had purpose; it wasn’t accidental.”
Genesis 1:26-27 – “Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” 27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.”
• Image refers to the essence of something.
• Likeness is connected to substance, resembling something.
• In Scripture, when the word body or image is used, it refers to a whole person: mind, body, soul, and strength.
“This might be hard to believe, but the God of the universe, personally created you with care and a purpose. The closeness of God to us in creation is astounding and too often missed.” (Josh Reich – Breathing Room)
1 Corinthians 6:12 – “All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be dominated by anything.”
1 Corinthians 6:19-20 – “Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.”
3. What Steps Can I Take To Get Physically Healthy?
1. Incorporate healthiness into your schedule.
2. Pick a plan that fits you and stick to it.
Two programs offered at West Ridge.
• Run for God
• Winning My Race
3. Set goals that are realistic and attainable.
4. Eating healthy is more important than exercise. (but they are both important)
5. Physical healthiness is a lifestyle switch.
6. Work rest into the rhythm of your life.
7. Get healthy to honor God and to bring Him glory!