What are the knee-jerk responses to this lie?
- Give up on God and continue to live in sin.
- Reason out your sin as something God accepts and ignore it.
Psalm 51:4 - “Against You, You only, have I sinned and done what is evil in Your sight.”
- Embrace “the way that you are” as your identity, even if it hurts others or damages relationships - it’s “who you are and how you roll.”
- Work as hard as you can to try “fix yourself.”
Proverbs 28:26 - “Those who trust their own insight are foolish.”
Jeremiah 17:5 - “This is what the Lord says: ‘Cursed are those who put their trust in mere humans, who rely on human strength and turn their hearts away from the Lord.’”
- Hide your issues from others and continue to pretend that you have it all together.
What is the Truth?
- YOU CAN’T change who you are…apart from Christ.
Galatians 2:20-21 - “I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose.”
John 15:5 - “For apart from Me you can do nothing.”
1 John 4:9 - “In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent His only Son into the world, so that we might live through Him.”
2 Corinthians 5:17 - “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.”
- Ephesians 4:32 - In Christ, you have been forgiven.
- Romans 3:24 - In Christ, you have been redeemed.
- Romans 5:11 - In Christ, you have been reconciled to God.
- Philippians 4:7 - In Christ, you have faith, hope and love.
- Romans 8:39 - In Christ, we have the love of God.
Philippians 3:10 - “I want to know Christ and experience the mighty power that raised him from the dead.”
Philippians 1:9 - “And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment.”
“Unless we are making the devout nervous, we are not preaching grace as we ought.” (Tullian Tchdivijian)
“Grace is nothing more nor less than the face that love wears when it meets imperfection, weakness, failure, sin.” (Joseph R. Cooke)
2 Peter 3:18 - “But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.”
By God’s grace, through Christ, you can be who He created you to be!
Titus 2:11-12 - “For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age.”