1. Why Do We Fight In Our Marriage?
• We are sinners married to sinners.
2 Corinthians 5:14-15 - 14 For Christ’s love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. 15 And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.
1 John 1:8 - If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
• We have unrealistic expectations
• We fear dealing with reality and difficult issues
2. What Must We Do To Fight For Our Marriage?
1. We Will Make Growth And Change Our Daily Agenda
Jeremiah 1:10 - “See, I have set you this day over nations and over kingdoms, to pluck up and to break down, to destroy and to overthrow, to build and to plant.”
2. We Will Fight To Build A Relationship Of Love.
1 John 4:10-11 - 10 This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. 11 Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.
• True love is not forced
• True love is self-sacrificing
• True love always has the good of the other person in view
• True love doesn’t demand something in return
• True love if often times undeserved.
1 John 4:19 - We love because he first loved us.
3. We Will Fight To Build a Bond Of Trust.
Nehemiah 4:13 - “So I stationed people behind the lowest sections of the wall, at the vulnerable areas. I stationed them by families with their swords, spears, and bows.”
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 - “Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.”
Matthew 6:33 - “Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.”
“Forgiveness is a vertical commitment that is followed by a horizontal transaction.” - Paul David Tripp