West Ridge Church Mission Statement: Leading people on a life changing journey to become fully devoted followers of Jesus Christ.
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you." Matthew 28:19-20
What is a disciple?
A fully devoted follower of Jesus Christ.
What is our strategy for making disciples?
LIfe change journey!
Four components on this journey:
Love, Grow, Serve, Share
Spiritual growth: Moving from being a new believer to full maturity in your walk with Christ.
It isn't about changing the person God created you uniquely to be, but instead developing you into a true version of yourself.
"When you grow spiritually you become more you, you become more that person God had in mind when He first thought you up." -John Ortberg
What do we believe about spiritual growth?
- Growth for a follower of Jesus begins at the moment of conversion.
- "Some of you were once like that. But you were cleansed; you were made holy; you were made right with God by calling on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God." 1 Corinthians 6:11
- God is not only the architect of spiritual growth, but He has created and called us to grow spiritually.
- "And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being trasformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit." 2 Corinthians 3:18
- God has given us the Holy Spirit to help guide us as we grow spiritually.
- "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you." John 14:26
- Filled by the Spirit
- "And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit." Ephesians 5:18
- Led by the Spirit
- "For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God." Romans 8:14
- Walk in the Spirit
- "But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh." Galatians 5:16
- "If we live by the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit." Galatians 5:25
- Spiritual growth comes as we abide in Christ.
- "I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing." John 15:5
- Spiritual growth is a lifetime journey.
- "And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ." Philippians 1:6
- A few questions about spiritual growth:
- How do we grow?
- Practical teaching
- Providential relationships
- Private disciplines
- "All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3:16
- Personal ministry
- Pivotal circumstances
- "Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing." James 1:2-4
- In what ways do we need to grow spiritually?
- Knowledge and understanding of God's Word
- "But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ." 2 Peter 3:18
- "But as you excel in everything -- in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in all earnestness, and in our love for you -- see that you excel in this act of grace also." 2 Corinthians 8:7
- "May the Lord make you increase and abound in love for one another and for all, as we do for you." 1 Thessalonians 3:12
How should a fully devoted follower respond to grow?
- Take personal responsibiity for our own spiritual growth
- "You have been believers so long now that you ought to be teaching others. Instead, you need someone to teach you again the basic things about God's word. You are like babies who need milk and cannot eat solid food. For someone who lives on milk is still an infant and doesn't know how to do what is right. Solid food is for those who are mature, who through training have the skill to recognize the difference between right and wrong." Hebrews 5:12-14
- "So let us stop going over the basic teachings about Christ again and again. Let us go on instead and become mature in our understanding." Hebrews 6:1
- Take personal responsibility for the spiritual growth of our families.
What are some road blocks to spiritual growth?
- Busy lifestyles
- Our culture
- Messed up priorities
How does West Ridge Church want to partner with you on your journey to grow?
- Teach the Bible in a practical manner.
- Grow together in small groups.
- Offer you and your family a spiritual growth plan.
- Offer you opportunities to grow in other areas of your life.